Everyday Paleo: Pumpkin Pie Recipe

October 2nd, 2012 | Ann

Last week, as a reward for hitting the 30-day mark of the Whole30 challenge, I bought the Everyday Paleo cookbook. I just love this cookbook. The recipes are easy to navigate, the ingredients are easy to find, and there is a full-page picture with each recipe. Amazing!

Both Jay and I saw the Pumpkin Pie recipe and agreed it would be one of the first ones to try. I had picked up a sweet “baking” pumpkin at Trader Joe’s last week, and wanted to try and use the pumpkin for the pie. I cut it in half, and scooped out the seeds. After baking the pumpkin [and roasting the seeds separately in olive oil and garlic salt], I scooped out the inside of the pumpkin…

Pumpkin… Fail!

Unfortunately, the pumpkin consistency wasn’t that great. It seemed alot more chunky and stringy. Plus – the recipe called for pure, canned pumpkin. I kept the pumpkin in a separate container [and made pumpkin pancakes the next day!] and I opted to use canned pumpkin for my pie instead.

Lesson learned? If the recipe says “canned pumpkin”, then go ahead and use the canned pumpkin.

First, I made the crust with crushed nuts and butter – I used the the Hope Creamery butter. After the crust was in the oven, I mixed together the pumpkin, eggs, honey and spices. I definitely eye-balled the spices and added cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin-pie spice – I probably added a bit more than the recipe called for.

Pie Filling

After the crust turned a nice golden-brown in the oven (about 15 minutes), I added the filling and baked the entire pie. It was in the oven for about 40-45 minutes.  It came out of the oven looking and smelling delicious! Jay and I couldn’t wait to dig in and try a piece.

I MADE A PUMPKIN PIE!!

You guys – this pie was DELICIOUS! It was so rich and not sickly-sweet. The crust was a nice change from the usual pie crust… Overall, 11/10. In fact, after Jay took a first bite, he said, “Oh my gosh, I’m so glad I married you!!”

Besides not using a real pumpkin for the filling, the only other mix-up I had was trying to make whipped “cream”. I did some research and found out you can buy a can of coconut milk, let it sit in the fridge overnight to separate, drain the juice part, and use the solid to whip into whipped “cream”. I got impatient and opened my can right away… it was too milky to whip… I hadn’t given it enough time to separate. Next time I’ll have to be more patient and try again to make the whipped “cream” to go on top.

The recipe is posted on the Everyday Paleo blog (and is the same as included in my cookbook)… I’ve added my modifications below:

Everyday Paleo Pumpkin Pie

Crust

1/2 cup hazelnuts

1 cup pecans - we ran out of pecans, so I substituted some additional cashews.

4 tablespoons melted organic grass fed butter - Like I said, we used our Hope Creamery butter. Any quality butter should be OK.

pinch of sea salt - In addition, I also omitted the sea salt, since I knew the cashews were salted.

Preheat oven to 350. Place the nuts in a food processor and process until the nuts are a flour like or almond meal like consistency. Pour into a small mixing bowl, add the butter and salt and mix into a thick dough. Using your hands, spread evenly into a pie pan and back for 10 minutes.

Filling

1 – 14oz can of organic pumpkin puree (nothing added, just pumpkin) - no need to try and use a real pumpkin; the can works great!

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves - I didn’t have cloves, so I used Pumpkin Pie Spice instead.

1/4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger - I didn’t include the ginger since I am not a big “fresh ginger” fan; I think the pie tasted great without it!

2 eggs

1/2 cup raw organic honey

1/2 cup coconut milk

While the crust is in the oven, whisk all of the pie filling ingredients together.  Pour into the crust that has been baked for 10 minutes, return to the oven and bake for and additional 45 minutes.

I’m so excited to have found a healthy pumpkin pie recipe! I cannot wait to make this pie for Thanksgiving next month!!

15 Responses to “Everyday Paleo: Pumpkin Pie Recipe”

1. Falon says:

Sounds amazing! I’m definitely trying this!

2. Angie says:

That looks so good! I also noticed that Trader Joe’s has cans of coconut cream now, right next to the coconut milk. Maybe that could work?

3. Laura says:

This is totally going on my Thanksgiving menu! Thank you!!

4. Jay Freeman (@JayFreeman) says:

Hey.

We should make this again.

Like, now. Right now.

5. Hannah says:

Oh my goodness. You are just making me crave the holidays… which I won’t be home for. Bah. I might want to try making that pie though…

6. What a cool way of substituting the crust!! Looks delicious!

7. Erin says:

Ann!!! I have been away from blogland as you know and I’m tackling my backlog.

YOU GUYS. And by that I mean YOU! HOLY CRAP YOU! What an amazing journey you’ve been on this past month. I tell you, I went right back to like mid-August to catch up and as I started to read backwards it was like a captivating novel. And the best part for me was knowing that when I was all caught up reading, the 30 day mark would be here and I’d see how things went. And I had full faith you’d make it and beyond. And really, just, wow. I don’t know what else to say other than your last month was truly inspiring and I’ll have to give that book a read. THANK YOU!!

8. [...] you know, I’m totally gaga over my new Everyday Paelo cookbook. After making the Paleo Pumpkin Pie last month (and impressing Jay with my cooking skillz), I’ve been trying to make new recipes [...]

9. [...] cook-up. I spent two hours (more than normal) because at the very last minute I decide to make a Paleo pumpkin pie (okay, but not worth making again) and to try dehydrating sweet potatoes for Alfred (his healthy [...]

10. Diana says:

Can’t wait to make this! I am making a pie crust out of almond flour and hope it turns out great! So thankful for all those out there that experiment to make things healthier! Thank you for posting this! :)

11. Eileen says:

Hi there…I stumbled across this blog looking for the pumpkin pie recipe that’s on Trader Joe’s pumpkins. Comment for your real pumpkin experience: If the pumpkin came out chunky and stringy, it sounds like you just scooped the pumpkin out, but didn’t puree it? Assuming that this is the case, next time, once you scoop the pumpkin out, puree it in a blender or food processor. Then, put it in a strainer or cheesecloth over a bowl for a few hours or overnight to allow some of the excess water to drain. This keeps the consistency similar to that of canned pumpkin. There may be a few more strings than the canned, but it shouldn’t be chunky. Does it taste better? Meh, I don’t know. Foodies across the blogosphere can argue up and down about that, but I think it’s fun to make my own, and it’s never tasted bad!

12. Monica says:

Cook the pumpkin just as you would any squash and then remove the skin prior to pureeing. I find that I need to use the blender to get the smoothest puree. No need to strain. I never use canned anymore.

13. Ron says:

making it now. smells great!

14. Alissa says:

This sounds amazing and I will be checking out this book next month. My husband was wondering how much your husband lost? He is going to be doing this with me but isn’t as excited as I am. Thank you!

15. I enjoy looking through a post that can make people think.
    Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!