I Am Ready.

April 26th, 2012 | Ann

I honestly didn’t even want to type “I Am Ready” into the title of this post.

But the truth is….. the Get In Gear Half-Marathon is in 2 days and I AM ready. I’m ready to run, I’m ready to work my butt off, and I’m ready to become a [two-time] half-marathon finisher. “But Ann,” you might say, “What happened the first race?” Don’t care. I can’t post a blog about all the things I’ve done wrong training for the half-marathon almost a year ago. Instead, I want to look to the positive and the things I’ve done in preparation of this race – to show myself that I am ready.

April 28, 2012

How do I know I am ready?

1. I’ve had eleven solid weeks of training. (links for training recaps are on THIS POST – Week 11.) I’ve put in the work and logged the miles, including long-runs of 9, 10 and 10. And although I would have liked to go further during one or two of those long-runs, if I can run 10 miles, I can run 13.1. Right? Right.

Source

2. I’ve listened to my body. Whether it’s knee problems and the solution is new shoes and compression sleeves, or extra stretching and foam rolling, or even some good ol’ fashioned R.I.C.E., I’ve been in sync with my own body for the past 12 weeks. If I actually stop what I’m doing and assess how my muscles, joints and body feels it tells me, “Yes, Ann, I am sore but I AM READY.”

3. I have a plan. Last summer, I had no plan. Other than to show up and hope I didn’t walk. But this year? I know the pace I want to run. I know the course I’ll be running, and I have a running buddy who has done some runs with me and is committed to keeping me on pace. (So thankful for the lovely Hannah for pacing me on Saturday!) There is a time cut-off of 3:00, and to be honest with you… it scares the crap out of me. But, I trust her. And I trust myself. I have a plan.

Source

4. I have a LOT of supporters. Last summer, my mom and Sam and Jason were at the finish. But otherwise, it was Jay and I out on the course by ourselves for a LONG 200+ minutes. This time? I know SO MANY people who are going to be at the race with signs, waiting at the finish, cheering us on. Whether they are running the 5k, the 10k, the half-marathon, or just coming to support us, I feel like I have the entire local running community cheering me on and supporting me this time. And it feels AMAZING!!

(Tomorrow, check back for a post about race-day specifics – the course, what I’ll be wearing, when to see me, etc.)

5. I am going to PR. And this is the final reason why I know I’m ready. Last summer, I finished the Red White & Boom TC Half Marathon in 3:24. (course cut-off was 3:30.) I was incredibly under-trained, and I’m thankful I didn’t end up injured racing that day. But this time? I’ve put in the work. I’ve listened to my body. I have a plan. I have a LOT of supporters. And whether or not I cross that line before 3:00 or shortly after (3:10 or 3:15), I WILL SET A NEW PERSONAL RECORD [PR]. The excitement of setting a PR is ENOUGH for me to know that I’m ready to run this race.

Source

I still consider myself a “new runner”. And if I could pass along one lesson about the Get in Gear training cycle, is that my only goal for this race was to “get better”. Whether that means – running faster, setting a PR, being more prepared… I guess that depends on the day. But overall, to be a “better” runner. And I’ll get to the starting line on Saturday, knowing that I am a better, stronger, more prepared runner.

Source

Thanks again for being on this journey with me. 2 days away, and I’m happy to say that I AM READY.

Look for specific race details tomorrow.

Any final words of advice for Saturday’s race?

25 Responses to “I Am Ready.”

1. Brady says:

You got this thing, girl! I’m proud of you, and I can’t wait to hear about your amazing race with Hannah! Enjoy your day!

2. Annie O. says:

You are ready! Can’t wait to watch you cross the finish line :) IM ON THE TWITTERS! Thanks for the run last night!

3. Emily says:

This? Amazing. I won’t be able to be there in person to cheer you on but will be sending you loads and loads of positive vibes as I put our household into cardboard boxes. You’ve got this!

4. Advice: Pay attention to your body, yes, and pay attention to your pace, yes, but above all, pay attention to the scenery. Take the time to enjoy the gorgeous trees or flowers or green grass. Appreciate the curves in the road, and appreciate what you see when you round each bend. Appreciate crossing the start line, for that’s a big step. Appreciate each step and appreciate your body for what it can do. You’re running a half-marathon, and you need to make sure to enjoy the experience, through the pain or the fatigue. The pain and fatigue are temporary; the joy of simply finishing 13.1 miles is not temporary, and the exhiliration of setting a PR is also not temporary.

Sadly, I’m going to miss your rockstar finish (I’d planned to go) because I had to schedule a final exam for 9-11 am Saturday, but believe me, I’ll be cheering you on mentally from The Little House that Could as I am swimming through the waters of Medical Terminology. :)

I can’t wait to hear all about your race!! :) I am so proud of all you’ve accomplished. You’re stronger than you were eleven weeks ago. Physically and mentally. Don’t discount the mental training – your readiness for this race relies on it.

5. Amy Powell says:

Good luck, Ann! It sounds like you’re very prepared – you got this!

~Amy @ UglyFinish

6. Liz says:

I wish I could get away to cheer you on, but know that I’m with you in spirit screaming at the top of my lungs. I KNOW you will rock this…you are right, you are ready!

7. I am a new runner, so what do you mean that there is a time cut-off of 3 hours? Do they start shutting everything down?

No matter what, I’m excited for you. You are such an inspiration, Ann. Thank you! Can’t wait for the recap!

8. Good luck, you seem well prepared.

9. Ruby Leigh says:

Wow. Great post – this makes me feel ready too !

10. Sandra says:

You ARE Ready. And I am so pumped to hear all about it when I get back into town Sunday night. That’s code for “Please post a recap of somesort as soon as you can…mmmkay?”

11. You will be fantastic! Great job with all your training thus far!

Great breakdown of why you are SO ready :)

12. Lynsey says:

Good luck! You will kill it. I can’t wait to hear all about it!

13. This post is awesome! I know you are ready too! I would just echo what Kelly so wonderfully put in to words. I can’t wait to see you come across that finish line! WOOHOOO!!!!!

14. Adara says:

I am running the 10k. I too had to listen to my body as I suffered a few set backs during training, but I too am ready! Good luck!

15. Amylee says:

This may be one of my favorite posts from you ever. You are SO READY for this!!! It’s going to be PR City and it’s AMAZING that the entire town will be with you there to celebrate. I can’t wait to hear about specifics tomorrow.

16. Lori H. says:

Free up your mind with all thoughts. Relax with your body and mind-you will do great! Keep your mind right with your body-one step at a time!!

17. Katie R says:

You have the number one thing needed for a successful race: mental game. The mind can make or break a run, and you sound ready to go. You’ll do awesome. Smile, breathe, and sing at the top of your lungs :)

18. Nancy says:

Wow….. so much great advice from such a wonderful community of runners and supporters. Can’t wait to cheer you on; I will have my camera ready. So proud of my girl for all of your hard work. Yeah I agree, you got this!

19. Meghan says:

Best of luck to you on Saturday, Ann! You’re going to totally rock the half-marathon. Just remember, you CAN do hard things!

20. Kristi says:

You are gonna rock this race! I am going to do my best to locate you!! I want to meet you :)

21. Hannah says:

You go girl! You may have been having a lot of stress in your life right now, but this race will clear your head and make you feel great! Kick butt, and stay positive!

22. Natalie at imchattynatty.blogspot.com says:

Can’t wait to hear all about the race. Kick butt!

23. Mary says:

Good luck! You are SO ready! Can’t wait for the recap :)

24. Michelle says:

Good luck tomorrow Ann!

25. [...] a final word of “thank you” for all of your supportive comments on yesterday’s post! You are so amazing and wonderful! Thank you again!! Like I said yesterday…. I AM READY. [...]