100oz + Non-Traditional Workouts

January 10th, 2012 | Ann

Yesterday was a good day. I challenged myself to make it a good day and not continue the cycle of emotionally eating.

I set myself 3 goals for the week:
1. Log all of my half-marathon training runs.
2. Journal all of my food.
3. Drink 100oz of water.

I took to Twitter and asked the help of fellow bloggers. I was chugging water in no time.

Lovin' me some water.

By about 2pm, I reached my goal of 100oz. I went to the bathroom about 20 times…. but it was worth it. I forgot how good and healthy water makes me feel. Seriously.

I also journaled my food throughout the day and didn’t emotionally eat once. One day at a time. No unwanted snacks, candy, chips, or treats. Just eating the food I brought from home – cauliflower with cheese sauce, cinnamon apple chobani, broccoli and hummas, string cheese. All in all, healthy food choices.

After work, the calendar for today said “spin”. It is supposed to be a cross-training day. Jay and I were running late and missed spin. Instead, we headed downstairs and did a quick core/ab, Wii Just Dance 2, weights workout.

Jay, working his abs.

Hello, sexy six-pack. Someday.

We did about 20 minutes of core/ab work and about 40 minutes of Just Dance. While Jay was dancing, I was doing bicep curls, shoulder presses and tricep curls. My arms were on fire!

Just Dance.

Just Dance - Biscuit is not amused.

In total, I burned about 300 calories and had a quick workout at home. It was fun to do something “non-traditional” for a workout. Back to running tomorrow!

And I need to remember to work my core/abs everyday. It will make me a stronger runner.

After that, I baked about 15 pounds of frozen chicken for meals this week. I got such a good deal from coupon-ing on Sunday that I bought 3 5lb bags. So – chicken on salads, chicken in sandwiches, chicken with rice and veggies. Luckily, Jay and I both really like it.

So, baking 15 lbs of chicken is my “meal prep” for the week.

Have you ever had a non-traditional workout at home?

What do you do for weekly “meal prep”?

Do you want to challenge me to another 100oz of water? Tweet me – @Minnesota_Ann

8 Responses to “100oz + Non-Traditional Workouts”

1. Cindy says:

My favorite workout at home, while not exactly non-traditional is http://www.yogatoday.com – I LOVE yoga, and this is a fantastic website that allows you to keep a daily practice without having to rely on the same videos or create your own practice. It is definitely my go-to on days when I don’t go to the gym, for whatever reason.

My weekly meal prep usually involves SOUP! I make a big pot of vegetable soup on Sunday (usually with lots of veggies and some sort of green like kale or chard). I do this so that Sun-Tues dinners are pretty much taken care of – and they’re healthy! Sure! By Tuesday I’m about ready to eat something other than soup, but it makes for a heck of a lot easier week.

2. Angie says:

Holy crap that IS a lot of chicken! But when you see a deal, gotta snag it :) Good for you for working out even with all those excuses to skip it- every little bit helps. Sometimes I think it’s even more important to have the mentality that even when we get derailed, we get right back on. Might not burn as many calories/workout as hard, but the fact is you DID it.

And JustDance is so fun. So that’s a bonus.

3. Katie says:

You are SO right about the importance of core/ab workouts being a benefit to your marathon training! I ran TC in 2011 and ended up with the most wicked stress fracture– when the physical therapist tested my core and hip strength she said “You’re lucky you didn’t get hurt worse.” Your core/hips are your shock absorbers, so give ‘em hell a few days a week!

4. Manda says:

GREAT JOB ANN! So proud of you! I think all of my workouts are non-traditional workouts at home; how nice to get to share them with someone! I don’t do meal prep other than to buy portable single servings of things to bring to work, and I totally challenge you to fill up on water again :)

5. Traci S. says:

Depending our week, sometimes I do 5 dinners in 1 hour on Sunday… all the meals are assembled and ready to go in the oven when we get home. HUGE time-saver!

There is actually a blog – “5 dinners in 1 hour” — some the meals I need to make modifications on for calorie content but overall great ideas.

6. Kat says:

Yoga and power walking are definitely my go-to You’re Not Running workouts. But I have yoga workouts that range from 20-60 minutes w/ varying levels of cardio, so I like to think that I can usually find a back-up option that “fits” so to speak.

LOVE THE ABS!

7. Erin says:

I laughed really hard reading this because I saw the picture with Biscuit sulking in the corner and I thought about how sad he looked, and THEN I read your comment. My pets definitely don’t understand when I exercise…if I get down on the ground for anything (yoga, crunches, push-ups, etc) they always think I’m getting ready to play with them. Not cool. For the record, it’s not easy to do a push-up with a cat walking under your stomach.

8. Hannah says:

That’s a whole lot of chicken! I’m currently learning how to do good food prep, and it takes a lot of work. As for the core work, good job. Something I totally need to work on…